Science Olympiad CodeBusters
Cipher usage for Division B/C this year.
If you are trying to figure out what ciphers will be used for what type of event, we have a nice Summary of Ciphers used for the 2023-2024 Season that was made by reading the current rules. As always, any official clarifications or rule updates override anything on that page, but it is a good start.
If you are looking for a resource sheet to print out for practice, you can find them for Division A Division B Division C
Summary of what's new:
- Version 9.5.0
- We added a bit more control over the generation of the Baconian symbols. You can now zoom them larger for when using emojis (or anything else that you just want to be larger). There is also now an option to generate the output as a bitmap instead of fonts for those printers that have trouble rendering some of the characters.
- Version 9.0.0 -- MAJOR UPDATE!
- Combined with the Test Builder, all of the cipher types now provide suggested question text and score values based on the analyzed difficulty of the question.
- Please note: if you find that the recommended scores are too high/low for a given phrase, please enter an issue at github.com/toebes/ciphers/issues. In order to not put the quote in public, you can mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org referencing the issue number.
- Ciphers now include a Quote Author field for the quote so that the recommended question text can include the source of the quote
- The Baconian words cipher has buttons to automatically set the groupings of A/B values
- The Baconian sequence cipher can suggest unicode combining overstrikes for the A/B text
- Aristocrats/Patristocrats/Xenocrypts have support for suggesting K1/K2/K3 keywords
- Aristocrats have a new dialog for finding homonyms in phrases and introducing typographical errors when creating a Misspelled cipher.
- The Cryptorithm generator has been sped up multiple orders of magnitude when checking addition/subtraction problems.
- The Test Builder phrase suggestion now allows for keywords to filter the quote search.
- Version 8.10.0
- We added a new tiny answerkey option to allow printing all of the answers in only a couple of pages to make it easier when grading. The new Test Builder propagates special bonus and Xenocrypt translations.
- Version 8.9.0
- The new Test Builder is available along with the Quote Manager. Together you can upload quotes from a spreadsheet and generate a test and automatically suggest appropriate quotes to use on the test.
Create individual questions
This would not be possible without the tireless volunteer work of a good team of developers: